Where in the world did 2019 go?? Is it just me or does every year go by faster than the one before it? I remember as a kid thinking that years passed so slowly and now I feel like the year is over literally days after it begins. I guess that’s adulthood haha.
I’ve never been much of a New Years resolutions girl because, honestly, they just never seemed that important ha. This year I feel inspired, though. I turn 26 in January and Tyler and I are thinking about starting a family soon so life just feels different! It feels like this is the year to really ingrain good habits into my life and our marriage before things get crazy with a baby haha.
This whole “20 for 2020” idea has been circling social media the last few days and it really caught my attention! I feel like I always thought New Years resolutions were just one or two big life changing things you wanted to change about yourself in the new year… but the whole premise of the 20 for 2020 list is that it can be literally anything! It can be places you want to travel, books you want to read, habits you want to start (or stop), etc. Maybe it’s just me, but it feels like less pressure because the list can be filled with so many different things and you can add some serious items if you want, but you don’t have to!
How I Created My List
After I decided to commit and make myself a 20 for 2020 list, I decided that in order for it to be a real, genuine and effective list, I needed to spend some time in prayer and reflection. I wanted to look back over 2019 and think about the things I did well or liked about the year and the things I did poorly or didn’t like and make my list from those things. Once I sat down with my notebook, it didn’t even take that long to really think through and make my list. I realized after I prayed through it, that there were already things on my heart that I knew needed to change this coming year! I physically wrote out my two lists of what I liked/did well in 2019 and what I didn’t like/did poorly and the act of dumping it onto paper really helped my process. I’m definitely a pen a paper kind of girl haha.
From my two lists, I began to create my 20 things I want to change/do in 2020! For example, one thing I didn’t like about my habits in 2019 is that I allowed myself to be lazy and skip the gym more than I should have. So from that, I wrote on my list that I wanted to commit to going to the gym or doing a home workout at least 3 days a week! Another example is that I realize I spend way too much time on my phone doing puzzles or mindlessly scrolling through social media (which isn’t healthy in large amounts) and it’s affected Tyler and how much time I sped with him. So in 2020 my goal is to set my phone aside for at least 2 hours every night before bed and devote that time to spending with him!
My finished list is a nice mix of starting healthier habits, traveling to places with Tyler, and just doing things that I think would be fun and good for me to do! Below I’m going to share a few of the things on my list and I hope you join me in making a 20 for 2020 list for yourself! I’m even more excited for the new year now that I’ve made my list and have goals I want to accomplish!
My 20 for 2020 List
1. Read the Word and pray every night before bed
2. Drink 64 oz. of water a day
3. Stop biting my nails for good
4. Set aside my phone for at least 2 hours every night before bed
5. Have consistent date nights every other week
6. Finish decorating/furnishing guest room and master bedroom
7. Wake up by 7 a.m. on at least 3 of my 4 off days a week
8. Go to the gym or workout in some way 3 out of 4 off days a week
9. Go on a walk for at least 30 minutes a day
10. Be more consistent making healthier choices with food
11. Actually hang things on the walls at the house
12. Have friends over at least once a month to invest in them
13. Post on my blog at least 3 times every week
14. Post on instagram at least 5 days a week
15. Take at least one vacation with just Tyler and I
16. Do a deep clean of the house once a month and routine cleaning every week
17. Only eat out once a week so that we can save more money
18. Reach 1,000 followers on IG by posting regularly and engaging
19. Read one book a month (fiction or not)
20. Only have tow cheat meals a week